Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Little Things Mean a Lot



Recently, I posted on Facebook -

"A day of simple pleasures...cutting roses in our backyard, a lovely lunch with a fine friend (and a crepe and creme brulee to boot), finding a tiny treasure for my office, an afternoon nap, and a bowl of popcorn while watching the World of Dance with John, who's had a good day too. And off to bed with a good mystery - I'm a happy camper."

I doubt I would have written something like this 20 years ago.   Is it because my world has become smaller and more confined?  Is it because our lives have become consumed by handling more important things?  Is it because the bigger issues in my life are looming as so beyond my control? So far beyond my control that to pay attention to the little things is a matter of survival? 

Or is it simply because I'm older and wiser? Which, of course, is the explanation I prefer!

No matter.  Whatever the reason or reasons, 
  • having a good piece of chocolate, well anything chocolate
  • seeing a movie with a friend
  • watching The Voice or So You Think You Can Dance with John, critiquing the whole way through
  • taking the time to enjoy spectacular coral desert sunsets
  • journaling on the courtyard chaise in the morning when the only sound that interrupts my concentration is our friendly pair of mourning doves
  • laughing at a sacrilegious Facebook post, well laughing in general
  • cleaning out a drawer or shelf - I can hear the disbelief now - "you find that pleasurable?" I do, I do.
  • watching a baby play, whether a human baby or a puppy or a kitten, a baby
  • reading good writing
  • hearing John laugh
  • holding hands
  • learning how to do something new, but especially anything on the computer - John can hear my yell of triumph anytime I figure out something for myself.
  • receiving an e-mail, message or phone call from an old friend
  • hearing "I love you" and knowing it's true
I can regret that I didn't learn how important or how satisfying this when I was younger, but that's a waste of time.  I'd rather pay attention to these little things.










No comments:

Post a Comment