Monday, February 8, 2016

Still Laughing after All These Years


You don't stop laughing when you grow old, you grow old when you stop laughing.” 

~ George Bernard Shaw



On this first day of my "birth week", a tradition I highly recommend, I declare that....



When I am a very old woman, I shall...



wear sequins and bangles, glitz and bling,
and I shall spend my money on chocolates and macadamia nuts, and glitter for my hair.
I shall sit down on the grass when I'm tired and reek of perfume samples,
and play hopscotch with little girls,
"and make up for the sobriety of my youth."
I shall dance in the rain,
and weave garlands for my hair,
and learn to yodel.
I shall have champagne for breakfast,
and pile shells and wine corks and colored marbles in pretty little boxes.
And, above all, I shall laugh.
But maybe I ought to start today.  So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised when suddenly I am very old and start to wear sequins and bangle, glitz and bling.

- with special thanks..."Warning, When I Am an Old Woman I Shall Wear Purple" by Jenny Joseph


No comments:

Post a Comment